Managed Mobility Services (MMS
) provide vendor-comprised IT and business process services required to plan, provide, procure, activate, manage, secure and support mobile devices, mobile network services, related mobile management systems and mobile applications. Gartner's coverage of MMSs
focus on a provider's assumption of day-to-day IT management administration and support routines for mobile devices. MMSs
also include business process services (such as expense management, asset management and logistics, including forward and return logistics and recycling, ordering and provisioning) as well as help desk services. Enterprises seek proficient skills and expertise related to MMS to ensure that their mobile devices are operationally effective and managed at a competitive price.
Despite progress made by many providers (such as single source provider MetTel), enterprise clients remain concerned that the delivery of MMS
services by providers often fails to meet enterprise requirements and outcomes because of inconsistent capabilities both regionally and globally. Consequently, enterprises' requirements may necessitate the sourcing and vendor management of multiple providers.
For 2020, Gartner maintains five categories for core MMS
• Sourcing and Logistics Management – purchasing, provisioning and activating network services, applications and devices in addition to expense management or UEM
• Managed UEM
– covers mobile device management, mobile application management, mobile identity, mobile content management and containment (separating corporate from personal data).
• Security Management – to secure access and consumption of corporate resources and content
through authentication, encryption, containerization and cloud-based enterprise file synchronization and sharing.
• Financial Management – expense management including sourcing, ordering and provisioning management, inventory, invoice, and contract management, usage and dispute management and reporting.
• Program Management (including professional services) – the capability to manage all other capabilities cohesively and effectively, including governance across third party providers such as UEM
, device OEMs and logistics, account management, support and Service Level Agreements (SLAs
All providers in this Gartner Magic Quadrant offer all of these service segments in full.